The Advocacy Committee was formed in Fall of 2011. Reporting to the OLA Board of directors, the OLA Advocacy Committee will:
- provide broad advice on systemic issues;
- provide specialized expertise/resources on a specific issue/topic that arises (i.e. copyright, Community Access Program (CAP), Library Archives Canada (LAC) and other cuts to funding);
- facilitate networking and communication opportunities relating to advocacy;
- identify advocacy needs and resources (i.e. toolkits, individuals, associations) while working in conjunction with specific sectors;
- support government relations strategies; and
- communicate advocacy efforts to stakeholders.
Co Chair: Dana Vanzanten (Public Library - Rural)
Co Chair: Jesse Carliner (Academic Library - University)
Dawn Telfer (School Library)
Jason Bird (Academic Library - College)
Mary Dodge (Public Library - Urban)
Vacant (First Nations Public Library) - if you are interested in joining the OLA Advocacy Committee please contact
, OLA Advocacy & Research Officer.
Current OLA President
, Executive Director, OLA
, Advocacy& Research Officer, OLA
Read the Committee's Terms of Reference
. For more information contact Shelagh Paterson
What I do library campaign
For our What I Do Library campaign, The Ontario Library Association Advocacy Committee asked librarians and library workers what their working days really looked like. Delegates at the OLA’s Super Conference 2012 shared their roles in writing and by tweeting using the hashtag #whatIdolibrary. We transcribed the answers and put them together in a Wordle.