By-Law No. 3
BE IT ENACTED as a By-Law of the ONTARIO LIBRARY ASSOCIATION, as follows:
- The name of the division herein constituted shall be the Ontario Public Library Association, Division of the Ontario Library Association and shall hereinafter be referred to as the "Division".
- The object of the Division is to foster and encourage the expansion and improvement of public library service for all the people in the Province of Ontario through:
- providing programs for the professional development of public library workers in Ontario,
- encouraging the establishment of training programs, standards and certification for public library workers,
- interpreting public library needs to all levels of government,
- developing regular channels of communication between the Division and other groups concerned with public library service in Ontario, and
- providing opportunities for public library workers to discuss problems and exchange ideas with other sectors.
- The affairs of the Division shall be managed by the duly elected Council in a manner consistent with By-Law No. 1.
- The composition of the Council shall be:
- The Past-President
- The President
- The Vice-President
- One representative from each duly constituted region of the Division
- Executive Director (non-voting)
provided that each of the foregoing, except for the Executive Director, are personal members in good standing of the Division at the time of their election and throughout their term of office.
- Each councillor shall serve for the term of three years. One third of the council shall be retired annually.
- The Vice-President shall serve the first year after his election as Vice-President, the second year as President the third year as Past-President.
- A Secretary and Treasurer shall be chosen by the Council from the Councillors each year. If there is no candidate from the Councillors, the existing Executive Committee may appoint members-at-large to the positions.
- The regional representatives (councillors) shall be appointed annually by the President to portfolios, which shall be determined from time to time by Council.
- No councillor shall serve as a councillor for more than two consecutive terms .
- The Division shall be composed of eight regions:
- Southwestern region
- Central region - West
- Central region - Mid
- Central region - East
- Eastern region
- Northern region - West
- Northern region - East
The members of a region are those members of the Division who are either employed or reside in that particular geographical area, provided however that a member cannot be a member of more than one region with the Division.