I READ CANADIAN FUND
The I Read Canadian Fund supports getting Canadian Books into the hands of young people across the country. Additionally, this fund supports the expansion of the Forest of Reading program into indigenous, rural and priority communities, plus the delivery of books. Let’s get kids excited about reading for fun!
Our campaign for I Read Canadian runs from September 1, 2019- August 31, 2020. Every contribution connects a young person to a book that could change their lives. By September 2020, the I Read Canadian Fund hopes to raise $30,000.
Literacy and the love of reading is critical to economic and emotional development as well as individual and community well-being. Reading for fun increases literacy skills, builds empathy, and leads to improved academic achievement. Research shows that reading for fun has a positive impact on the lives of children and young adults both in and outside of school. Reading promotes the following in young readers:
- Increased school achievement
- Strong life satisfaction
- Better health
- Better employment
- Pursuit of higher education
- Increased social and civic engagement
Research has found a decline in children who say that they like to read. Canada is also facing a decline in literacy skills amongst students. We can do better to provide resources to ensure children can participate in fun and enjoyable reading experiences.
The Ontario Library Association hosts the Forest of Reading, the largest kids’ reading program of its kind in Canada. The goal of the Forest of Reading: To promote a love of reading. Every year, more than 270,000 readers participate at school or their public library or individually. We also host reading festivals that connect young readers to their favourite Canadian authors and illustrators.
The I Read Canadian Fund connects young Canadians with Canadian books by:
- Donating new books to communities in need to support reading programs. Many of these are rural or fly-in communities or places where budgets are very limited.
- Supporting schools, libraries, and other organizations in priority communities so they can participate in reading programs.
- Connecting authors and illustrators to young fans at festivals, celebrations and their schools.
Here is how your donation to I Read Canadian helps:
- $1,000 - $4,000 delivers 350 Canadian books to a remote community in need.
- $750-$1000 subsidizes an author/illustrator visit to a small or remote community (including travel).
- $500 brings a bus of young readers to their local reading festival/celebration.
- $200 provides one Forest of Reading book-set to a classroom or library.
Did you know?
- By donating $20 to the I Read Canadian Fund will send a young reader to the Forest of Reading Festival.
- By donating $40 to the I Read Canadian Fund will cover the cost of the annual registration fee for Forest of Reading Program.
Every contribution connects a young person to a book that could change their lives. By September 2020, the I Read Canadian Fund hopes to raise $30,000. We cannot do it without you. Building Future Leaders by Building Readers. #IReadCanadian.