Annual Institute on the Library as Place
The Annual Institute on Library as Place cannot take place in person during summer 2020 as planned; however, we are pulling together a series of conversations and virtual events that will help us put our heads together and problem-solve. These conversations are free and no registration is required! Here is a list of our currently-planned conversations:
- Return to the Academic Library Space: What Is Your Scenario? : Thursday July 9, 2020 at 3:30pm EST
- De-escalation Policies to Support Inclusion : Monday June 22, 2020 at 1pm EST
- Curbside Pickup at Academic Libraries : Friday May 15, 2020 at 1pm EST. [Materials from this session]
- Public Library Curbside Pickup Plans: Learning from BC : Wednesday May 20, 2020 at 1pm EST [Materials from this session ]
- Curbside Pickup at Academic Libraries: Continuing the Conversation : Friday May 22, 2020 at 1pm EST
- Adaptive Re-Use of Space: Toronto Public Library & Pop-Up Food Banks During COVID-19 : Tuesday June 2, 2020 at 2pm EST
What Is The Annual Institute on Library as Place?
The purpose of the Annual Institute on the Library as Place is to provide a learning opportunity for the library, municipal, design, and architect sectors to learn more about physical space (e.g., characteristics of great future-oriented spaces; advocacy for the library as physical space; effective collaboration with communities, architects, project managers, municipal officials, and builders) and to become equipped to plan and respond quickly to capitalize on opportunities for development and redevelopment for all types of libraries. Participants are from the public, school, special and academic library sectors, in addition to municipal decision makers, architects and designers. The event hosts approximately 150 delegates each year. While hosted in Ontario, delegates from any province/country are welcomed.
The Annual Institute is a great place to meet people who are also embarking on similar design and building projects. It’s always a good idea to bring your project drawings or schematics with you, so that you’re able to refer to them during the workshops or informal chats at your table. The people in the room come from libraries of varying sizes, architecture firms, design companies and furniture manufacturers - make sure to chat and make connections with as many people as possible!