School Libraries Matter Video Contest
The OSLA wants you to tell your story about why school libraries matter.
As school libraries across Canada and the U.S. face closures, there is no better time to spread the word about what exactly goes on in school libraries and just how valuable they are. This is a great project for the Spring until May! Work either alone, with your students and/or staff to plan and film a short video about your school library.
Create a video and enter it in the OSLA’s International School Library Month Video Contest. This video will be used to promote school libraries! October is International School Library Month and the OSLA wants to showcase the work of Ontario’s school libraries. You and your students could win exciting prizes, not to mention movie fame.
Here are some suggested steps to take:
Decide on an audience: students, parents, teachers, administrators, government, community, etc.
Possible themes (or one you come up with):
1. Is there a typical day in your school library? Show us what it looks like...
2. What 3 things do you love about your school library: a question for students and staff
3. “What makes a library a library?” (credit to Buffy Hamilton who asked the question first).
4. They shut down the school library...
5. Hey Parents, find out what’s happening at your school library
6. Our library is a learning commons for all
7. What I learn in my school library
8. Your choice! Be as creative as you wish!
- One winner per division: elementary (K - 6), intermediate (7 - 8), secondary (9 - 12)
- Video length 1-3 minutes (maximum)
- Signed media release forms for participants required (these may be covered under your board media release forms)
- You must upload your video to YouTube or another Internet space that can be accessed, linked to and promoted by the OSLA
- Submissions must have cleared copyright on any third party content
- Submission leads must be current OLA members.
The contest is currently closed.
Winners of the 2015 contest can be see below!
OSLA Video Contest Winners 2015
Garden Avenue Junior Public School, Toronto DSB
Intermediate Honourable Mention
Maple Ridge Public School, Durham DSB
Senator O'Connor College School, Toronto Catholic DSB
WATCH THE VIDEOS HERE!