By-Law No. 2
BE IT ENACTED as a By-Law of the ONTARIO LIBRARY ASSOCIATION, as follows:
- The name of the division shall be the Ontario School Library Association, Division of the Ontario Library Association and shall hereinafter be referred to as the "Division" and the Ontario Library Association shall be referred to herein as the "Corporation."
- The objects of the Division are:
- to further the development of school library programs and school libraries in Ontario,
- to strengthen and unify the voice of teacher-librarians as curriculum leaders,
- to work with the full library community on shared issues and programs,
- to represent the profession of teacher-librarianship as a subject association recognized by the Ontario Ministry of Education
- to provide professional development opportunites for teacher-librarians and other qualified school library staff, and
- to promote research related to effective school libraries.
- The affairs of the Division shall be managed by the duty elected Council in a manner consistent with By-Law No. 1.
- The composition of the Council shall be:
- The Past-President
- The President
- The Vice-President (President-Elect)
- One representative from each duly constituted region of the Division
- Editor of Teaching Librarian (non-voting)
- OSLA Website Editor (non-voting)
- Executive Director (non-voting)
provided that each of the foregoing, except for the Executive Director, are personal members in good standing of the Division at the time of their election and throughout their term of office.
- Each councillor shall serve for the term of three years. One third of the council shall be retired annually.
- The Vice-President shall serve the first year after election as Vice-President, the second year as President, the third year as Past-President.
- As Secretary and Treasurer shall be chosen by the Council from the Councillors each year. If there is no candidate from the Councillors, the existing Executive Committee may appoint members-at-large to the positions.
- The regional representatives (councillors) shall be appointed annually by the President to portfolios, which shall be determined from time to time by Council.
- No councillor or officer shall serve for more than 2 consecutive terms in the same capacity.
- The Division shall be composed of seven regions:
- Southwestern region
- Central Region - West
- Central Region - Mid
- Central Region - East
- Metropolitan Toronto
- Eastern Ontario
- Northern Ontario
The members of a region are those members of the Division who are either employed or reside in that particular geographical area, provided however that a member cannot be a member of more than one region with the Division.